SAOCOM (Satélite Argentino de Observación Con Microondas) es un sistema de dos satélites de observación terrestre de la agencia espacial de Argentina, CONAE. Estarán equipados con un radar de apertura sintética polarimétrico en banda L.
This satellite series involves the development working in the microwave region of the electromagnetic spectrum.
In the frame of the National Space Plan, CONAE SAOCOM developing the project constitutes a system of Earth observation, dedicated to the use of remote sensing data for optimization of socio-economic and scientific studies. This project involves the launching of two constellations, SAOCOM 1 and SAOCOM 2, each of which is itself composed of two satellites, SAOCOM 1st (first series) and SAOCOM 1B, and SAOCOM 2nd and SAOCOM 2B respectively.
The satellites of the constellation SAOCOM 1 (SAOCOM 1A and 1B SAOCOM) are based development to be launched in 2013, with an estimated useful life of at least five years for each satellite. Regarding the orbit, it is intended to obtain both global coverage and revisit each satellite 16 days, resulting in 8 days for the constellation. SAOCOM 1A and SAOCOM 1B share the same technical requirements of design, functionality and operability, so that its development is being conducted simultaneously resulting in two identical satellites. Therefore hereinafter be described SAOCOM characteristics 1A.
The main instrument SAOCOM 1 is an active sensor that consists of a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR, for its acronym in English Synthetic Aperture Radar) polarimetric, which operates in the range of L-band microwave.
The main objectives of the mission SAOCOM 1 correspond to the capabilities of the SAR instrument and are listed below:
- Provide L-band polarimetric SAR information regardless of weather conditions and time of day, in different areas of the world, in real time and stored mode, with a spatial resolution between 10 and 100 meters and with different angles of observation.
- Meet the applications considered in Spatial Information Cycles (ICD) National Space Plan (PEN) Argentino.
- Integrate SIASGE system operationally.
- Get product information arising from the SAR, in particular soil moisture maps, representing a boon to agriculture, hydrology and health area, due to its proven socio-economic impact.
- Also obtain information from the SAR interferometer type products, representing a great help for most applications.